Pomegranate, Pistachio and Dark Chocolate Friands – Gluten free and vegan
The tartness of pomegranate goes so well with the bitterness of dark chocolate and dark chocolate goes beautifully with pistachio so I was inspired to create these tasty little friands.
I think the recipe would work equally well as a muffin or mini loaf if those are the pans you have.
Also this recipe can be made sugar free by substituting the coconut sugar with something like erythritol or natvia.
- 85 g pistachio kernels (finely ground)
- 100 g almond meal
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (ground to powder)
- 3/4 cup GF flour (I used Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 baking flour)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2/3 cup almond milk (or non-dairy milk of choice. I wouldn't use coconut milk and it might create a dense friand)
- 2 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 60 g dark chocolate (chopped)
- 100 g pomegranate arils (usually half a large pom or a whole smaller one)
- 1/4 cup aquafaba (chickpea water) (if your aquafaba is thin you will need to use 1/3 cup and reduce it to 1/4 cup so it is thicker. Cool back to room temp before adding to recipe)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
Preheat oven to 180C. Light grease friand pan.
Sift flour, almond meal, sugar, ground pistachio and salt into a large bowl and combine.
Add milk, oil, chocolate and pomegranate and stir till fully combined. Mixture should be thick but not stiff. Add more milk by the tablespoon if required.
Whisk aquafaba till frothy and add to the mixture. Add baking powder and apple cider vinegar and gently fold through.
Spoon mixture into moulds and bake for 25 – 30 minutes.
Remove from oven and rest in pan for 10 minutes before removing. Allow to cool completely on rack.
Decorate with extra pomegranate arils, melted dark chocolate or simple dusting of powdered erythritol.