Pomegranate, Pistachio and Dark Chocolate Friands - Gluten free and vegan
- 85 g pistachio kernels finely ground
- 100 g almond meal
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar ground to powder
- 3/4 cup GF flour I used Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 baking flour
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2/3 cup almond milk or non-dairy milk of choice. I wouldn't use coconut milk and it might create a dense friand
- 2 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 60 g dark chocolate chopped
- 100 g pomegranate arils usually half a large pom or a whole smaller one
- 1/4 cup aquafaba (chickpea water) if your aquafaba is thin you will need to use 1/3 cup and reduce it to 1/4 cup so it is thicker. Cool back to room temp before adding to recipe
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 180C. Light grease friand pan.
- Sift flour, almond meal, sugar, ground pistachio and salt into a large bowl and combine.
- Add milk, oil, chocolate and pomegranate and stir till fully combined. Mixture should be thick but not stiff. Add more milk by the tablespoon if required.
- Whisk aquafaba till frothy and add to the mixture. Add baking powder and apple cider vinegar and gently fold through.
- Spoon mixture into moulds and bake for 25 - 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and rest in pan for 10 minutes before removing. Allow to cool completely on rack.
- Decorate with extra pomegranate arils, melted dark chocolate or simple dusting of powdered erythritol.